Supporting Students with Interrupted/Inconsistent Formal Education (SIFE): Strategies for Fostering Engagement and Achievement in Math. This session will focus on strategies for supporting the math skills of SIFE. Participants will explore strategies that can be used with students with a range of abilities in math. Such strategies will include the explicit teaching of math vocabulary, the use of real-life contexts for applying mathematical principles, and math activities that support both content learning and language development. Participants will apply the concepts they have learned in developing lessons to be used in their context.
- Explore & apply relevant aspects of second language acquisition and culturally relevant instruction in support of developing engagement of SIFE in mathematics.
- Apply strategies to develop academic language and vocabulary for SIFE in mathematics.
- Scaffold lesson plans for both mathematics and language learning for SIFE.
- Explore how to support talk-to-learn strategies for SIFE during mathematics lessons.
- Adapt mathematics content to provide greater access to SIFE in mathematics.
Should SW BOCES' MLP be "full", please register at Rockland BOCES' website using their MLP listing.
REGISTRATION/SIGN-IN: 8:30-9:00 AM
LUNCH: ON YOUR OWN
For questions regarding this activity, please contact the HV RBE-RN.