Supporting Students with Interrupted/Inconsistent Formal Education (SIFE): Strengthening Early Literacy Skills. This session will focus on strategies for supporting the early literacy skills of SIFE. Participants will explore literacy strategies that can be used with students at a range of literacy levels. They will discuss ways of fostering the development of students’ foundational literacy skills while at the same time supporting their content learning and critical thinking skills. Participants will apply the concepts they have learned in developing lessons to be used in their context.
- Discuss the relevant aspects of second language acquisition in support of developing literacy skills for SIFE who may not be literate in their home language(s)
- Apply strategies for supporting reading development of SIFE (and other ELLs at varying levels of literacy) including: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, and text comprehension.
- Explore the connection between vocabulary instruction and literacy development for SIFE.
- Learn and apply strategies for supporting SIFE development as writers.
- Apply strategies for selecting materials that are age and level appropriate.
Should SW BOCES' MLP be "full", please register at Rockland BOCES' website using their MLP link here.
REGISTRATION/SIGN-IN: 8:30-9:00 AM
LUNCH: ON YOUR OWN