Information about PR/HYLI
What does PR/HYLI mean?
PR/HYLI stands for the Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute.
What is PR/HYLI about?
PR/HYLI is much more than an Institute. Leading up to the weekend, 11th and 12th grade students participate in a series of training sessions to empower students' leadership, advocacy, public speaking and essay writing skills. During the weekend Institute, students debate bills within the New York State Assembly Chambers while assuming the roles of New York State Legislators.
What are PR/HYLI's goals?
PR/HYLI's goals, beyond student empowerment, include:
- The development of leadership skills in Latino/Hispanic Youth;
- The creation of opportunities for Latino/Hispanic students to interact with positive role models such as Puerto Rican/Latino elected officials, educators, and business leaders;
- The creation of partnerships and conversations among educators, business leaders and students, and
- The development of an in depth knowledge of the state legislative process.
The Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute consists of 3 main phases:
- legislative training;
- participation in the three-day institute; and
- extension and refinement of leadership skills in students’ home communities.
When is this year's Institute?
The weekend Institute will take place March 10-12, 2018.